• The Supreme Court plans to set up a secure, credible and authentic channel for transmission of the orders for execution.
• Named as FASTER (Fast and Secure Transmission of Electronic Records), the innovative scheme is conceived for delivery of orders to concerned prisons, district courts, high courts, as the case may be, for instantaneous delivery of orders passed by apex court through a secure communication channel.
• This will save time and effort and will ensure that there are no delays in implementation of the orders passed by the Supreme Court.
• The top court appointed senior advocate Dushyant Dave as an amicus curiae for assisting it in implementing the scheme and asked the Secretary General of the Supreme Court to coordinate with him before sending the proposal to the bench. The Secretary General would be also cooperating with Solicitor General on the issue
To reduce delay in communication
• Chief Justice of India (CJI) N.V. Ramana-led bench was irked over the increasing number of reports regarding delay in implementation of the orders passed by the top court.
• The SC has taken suo motu cognizance of news reports of delay by Uttar Pradesh authorities in releasing 13 prisoners who were granted bail by it.
• The convicts, who were juveniles at the time of offence were lodged in Agra Central jail for periods ranging from around 14 to 22 years in a murder case.
• We are in the age of information and communication technology and we are still looking at the skies for the pigeons to communicate the orders, the CJI observed.
• In a hearing conducted through video-conferencing, the bench also directed all the states to respond on availability of internet connection in jails across the nation as without this facility transmission of such orders to prisons will not be possible.