Railway Minister Ashwini Vaishnaw and Union minister Dharmendra Pradhan flagged off the new Linke-Hofmann-Busch (LHB) rake of the Bhubaneswar-Jagdalpur Hirakhand Express.
The ministers flagged off the new rake from the Bhubaneswar railway station via video conference.
What are the features of LHB coaches?
• LHB coaches, designed for increasing the train speed, are new generation passenger coaches of the Indian Railways that have been developed by Linke-Hofmann-Busch of Germany (renamed Alstom LHB GmbH in 1998 after the takeover by Alstom) and mostly produced by Rail Coach Factory in Kapurthala in Punjab.
• The modern coaches are anti-telescopic and therefore they do not flip in case of a collision.
• The LHB coaches also have anti-climbing features, so that in case of a collision, the coaches do not climb on top of each other.
• They are safer, lighter, more comfortable and jerk-free.
Compared to Integral Coach Factory (ICF) design coaches, Linke Hofmann Busch (LHB) design coaches are:
• Lighter in weight
• Have higher carrying capacity
• Higher speed potential
• Increased codal life
• Have better safety features.