• President Droupadi Murmu presented the President’s Colour to INS Dronacharya in Kochi on March 16.
• The award was presented in recognition of the exceptional service that the INS Dronacharya rendered to the nation, both in war and peace.
• The President’s Colour award is considered the highest honour that the President, who is also the Supreme Commander of the three services, bestows on a unit for its exceptional service to the nation.
• The Indian Navy was the first Indian Armed Force to be awarded the President Colour by Dr.Rajendra Prasad on May 27, 1951.
• Last year, President Ram Nath Kovind awarded the President’s Colour to INS Valsura.
• INS Dronacharya is the premier gunnery school of the Indian Navy in Kochi.
• INS Dronacharya is entrusted with the training of officers and sailors of the Navy, Coast Guard and friendly foreign maritime forces on all aspects of gunnery and missile warfare.
• Training of officers and sailors to deliver ordnance on target effectively is the core focus of INS Dronacharya.
• It was designated as the Centre for Excellence in gunnery and missile warfare in 2004.
• The unit is affiliated with the Indian Army School of Artillery in the spirit of jointmanship. The alumni of the institution have distinguished themselves in war and peace through exemplary acts of courage, unwavering commitment and impeccable professionalism.
• The alumni of INS Dronacharya include one Mahavir Chakra, Kirti Chakra and Yudh Seva Medal, five Veer Chakra and seven Shaurya Chakra awardees.
• The Gunnery School has evolved over a period of time to become an institution of international repute providing training on all facets of gunnery and missile warfare.
Manorama Yearbook app is now available on Google Play Store and iOS App Store