Union Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan launched 37 PM-SHRI Kendriya Vidyalayas and 26 PM SHRI Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalayas in Odisha on November 19.
What is PM-SHRI scheme?
• In September 2022, the Union Cabinet approved a Centrally Sponsored Scheme named Pradhan Mantri Schools for Rising India (PM-SHRI).
• Under the scheme, there is provision of setting up of more than 14,500 PM-SHRI schools by strengthening the existing schools from amongst schools managed by central government/state/UT government/local bodies.
• The total cost of the project is Rs 27,360 crore during the period of 2022-23 to 2026-27.
• PM-SHRI Schools will showcase all components of the National Education Policy, 2020 and act as exemplar schools and also offer mentorship to other schools in their vicinity.
• The aim of these schools will not only be qualitative teaching, learning and cognitive development, but also creating holistic and well-rounded individuals equipped with key 21st century skills.
• Pedagogy adopted in these schools will be more experiential, holistic, integrated, play/toy-based (particularly, in the foundational years) inquiry-driven, and discovery-oriented.
• Focus will be on achieving proficiency in learning outcomes in every grade.
• Assessment at all levels will be based on conceptual understanding and application of knowledge to real life situations and will be competency-based.
• These schools will be equipped with modern infrastructure including labs, smart classrooms, libraries, sports equipment, art room, etc which is inclusive and accessible. These schools shall also be developed as green schools with water conservation, waste recycling, energy-efficient infrastructure and integration of organic lifestyle in curriculum.
• They will provide leadership in their respective regions in providing high-quality education in an equitable, inclusive and joyful school environment that takes care of the diverse background, multilingual needs, and different academic abilities of children and makes them active participants in their own learning process as per the vision of NEP 2020.